Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

A damning travesty


As the guys have begun their college classes I have spent more time in a classroom than the stereotypically freshman at my alma mater!  With that, I have been flooded with emotion and insight as our guys move forward in pursuit of the precious and elusive “college degree.” 

Through observations and conversations my head is spinning with the damning travesty that awaits the typical Haitian student as they walk the road of their educational journey with high hopes of changing their fate and that of their family.   Regardless of age, I’m an eyewitness to the train wreck of injustice that is: memorization as learning.  I began to notice this style of “education” a few years ago, as I reviewed textbooks and discussed courses with friends.  The ideas of comprehension, application and critical thinking seem to be lost somewhere in the educational abyss of Haiti.  I have discussed this phenomenon with others working around the island and we are noticing some fearful trends.  This problem is most easily spotted when studying English, but it also rears its ugly head in other subjects, even math.  The idea of literacy is held in such high regard here, but somewhere along this journey comprehension is lost.  It’s literally being able to audibly read every word on a page, but not actually comprehending much for their effort. From an early age the typical student is taught that memorization IS learning.  If you can regurgitate words or information (regardless of understanding) you are considered educated and promoted to the next level of devastation.  As this realization has come to a head for me, I’m defeated.  I stand looking up at the mountain of young people waiting to take the reigns of Haiti and know they are being cheated from their potential.  Now, please realize that I am speaking in generalizations, as there are many amazing young people and schools in Haiti taking education and the future seriously.  These fine few are doing their damnedest to deafen this cry but overall I’m sickened by the plight that faces the masses.  I feel helpless, I feel unqualified, I feel overwhelmed, and I’m lost.  With these feelings come a disgusting sense of entitlement as I think about how I took the education that I was so BLESSED to receive for granted.  If you are like me, I encourage you to say your prayers of repentance and thanksgiving, as well as ask you to pray for revelation, determination and courage for those that are taking this damning travesty head on! 

 Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment