Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Overwhelmed...

As I huddle in the cool dim light of a deer blind this morning, my head and heart stir with emotion. I sit and stare at His creation.

The sun about to rise to the east; morning colors beginning to warm the still sky; a small brown moth flapping his wings against the window; the rejuvenating smell of a night of rain and the still calm of the morning.  All this splendor, His glory, a fresh breath, a new day.
Thank you Lord, for yesterday wants to be forgotten. 

As we witness the tragic murder of the innocent in Connecticut and around the world in China, we should hug our loved ones tighter and kiss our kids at bedtime one extra time.  These senseless acts, another painful and grievous reminder of this dark and sinful world.
And the infamous question haunts the world again, as it does way too often: "Why God, Why?"

As the overwhelming thoughts of pain, anger, unbelief, and, if I'm honest, some distrust in God, I marvel at blessings! Not just the normal everyday blessing of living in America where we have our every need and desire at our finger tips, but more, much more.
Last night as the wind began to stir and the much needed rain began to fall, I went to shut our old crooked front door to close out a another day, a day to be forgotten.  But again today, I took notice, something caught my attention. A mountain of blessing, an out pouring of provision! Someone left Christmas on our porch! Jen and I thought of how awesome it was for someone to leave all this stuff for a family. Since we neighbor a church, I text the pastor and asked if they were awaiting a delivery. He answered simply, "Santa must have come early." So as the cold rain began to puddle around our porch, we brought in box after box of blessing. Food and gifts, amazing! 

Jen and I still clueless, wondered who the delivery was intended for and how are we supposed to get it to someone we don't know. We made some calls, sent a few text messages out and thought, "How ironic?"  Two gift baskets for boys and one for a girl. Random, we have 2 boys and 1 girl; Major, Beckett and Addyx. Just a coincidence; so we kept moving boxes in so that the rain wouldn't do any damage. My phone sounded.  A text message providing clarity.
"The gifts on your porch are gifts for you given by some people that love you and you would never expect to receive from. Be blessed. Be a good receiver. Merry Christmas!"

Really? Holy Crap!

Thankful tears streamed and I stood in grace, speechless, which doesn't tend to happen too often.
That infamous question arises again, but this time from joy, not pain, "Why God, why?"

See it's not what was received, it’s that we received. It's not about food, not gifts, but a blessing. So often in this world, in our ruts, in the mundane, the blessings are overlooked, missed or completely lost.

Not tonight, Lord, not tonight. 
What a humbling feeling to be blessed, to be overwhelmed at receiving a gift because someone was willing to love radically as Jesus did. So as I write this, as tears still fall, for the pain of others and the blessing my family received I sit, I sit overwhelmed...

Sean

1 comment: